Monday, November 15, 2010

Read All about It


All of a sudden M has started putting sounds together into words and words into sentences. She is so ready to read! About a month ago she said to me, "Mommy, I just really want to know how to read." Totally understandable given that everyone in the family are readers. Maybe three weeks ago it was like a switch turned on and she started piecing together three letter words. Her teacher started sending little books home with her. M has been incredibly eager--she'll read two small stories every night and bring them back the next day for two more.

The challenge has been trying to keep up with her curiosity and drive to learn. I really want to encourage her interest. So far K and I have made little readers for M. I put together the booklets, and K helps to illustrate them (I had M do drawings once, but she got tired after a while and was more interested in the reading part). Another activity that I put together is simply flash cards. I initially had some 3-letter words from when K was in kindergarten, but I've mixed in some 4-letter words as M seems ready. I've also added the names of different family members and pets, as well as some kindergarten sight words (i.e., "a," "she"). The flash cards are not as exciting, but M likes the feeling of accomplishment when she finishes a stack. Plus they are good for when we have a few minutes of "waiting time." 

K's teacher has urged her to practice her flash cards to really learn the basics. It's harder to get her to do these, and I admit, math flash cards can be a bit tedious. Is there any way to make it more fun? Something to look into....

No comments:

Post a Comment