Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Day Two of Live Below the Line

Well, we got through day two.  M is starting to feel frustration at eating the same foods over and over.  Breakfast was basically toast, a small amount of banana, carrot sticks, milk, and hard-boiled egg.  Lunch for the kids was a toasted cheese sandwich (I exchanged some veggies for some cheese), beans, pretzels, and apple slices.  Lunch for me was rice combined with beans and sauteed veggies with a dash of soy sauce and sesame oil.  And dinner was based on a Costa Rican dish that HH ate while traveling called pinto gallo....essentially sauteed onions combined with precooked rice, pinto beans, a dash of cumin, and ginger powder.  I made a side salad of sliced raw cabbage and carrots seasoned with a teaspoon of rice wine vinegar and 1/2 a teaspoon of sugar.

It is difficult to make sure that the kids are getting enough calories and that I provide a variety of dishes for them to eat (without them feeling like they are eating the same thing over and over again-because they basically are).  With limited ingredients, I have to use my culinary imagination which I don't have a lot of.  I have to give M lot of credit for sticking with it and trying so hard.  Not so easy when her friends at school are eating yummy snacks and snacks!

To read more about our experiences with the Live Below the Line five day challenge, please click here.  To read more about Live Below the Line, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment